Thursday, January 5, 2017

Consideration of Cell Phones

Just had lunch with a friend who told me that her niece was upset that she had to wait until she was 14 to get a cell phone. Her brother got one for Christmas at age 12. My friend said she had to wait until 50 years for her first cell phone. We laughed and spoke about apps. My friend and her nephew went out to play Pokemon Go. She said they had so much fun. She showed me how it worked. I thought of ways that Pokemon could educate people by sending them to cultural places like museums or the Aviary. It was interesting and had many potential learning applications. Could we use it to get students to come to class? Could we design our own game, or a scavenger hunt game that would get students interested in class? So much to think about. Cell phones are everywhere, and I don't know too many people who don't have one. I was 35 when I got my first cell phone. Students are growing up surrounded by media that can be tapped into by cell phones. How do we use it for education? 

The following article gives some basic, yet surprising facts about teens and cell phone use and consumption. How are companies using cell phones to market to children and teens? Teens are not savvy about cell phone use and posting on Instagram or Facebook. Often it is a fast, not thought out decision to post something that cannot be retrieved or deleted. The article is very eye-opening.
http://www.growingwireless.com/get-the-facts/quick-facts 

1 comment:

  1. I found this conversation to be interesting. My neighbor and I spoke about some of the consequences for younger people posting things on Instagram that cannot be "taken back" later. It leaves a digital footprint on the web.

    ReplyDelete