Monday, January 9, 2017

Tree Counting in New York

I found this to be very a very interesting article. I am seeing technology being used for many different purposes. In this case managing the eco system in NY City. Workers and volunteers counted and identified trees in all boroughs of the city. I think this is an interesting article. My Dad grew up in the Bronx, NY, so this caught my eye. 

https://wp.nyu.edu/connect/2015/10/20/trees-count

The volunteers got a tree kit and were able to use mobile devices to identify the leaves of the tree and thereby identify the types of trees growing in each neighborhood. The goal is to measure and maintain the trees and the health of the trees in NY. Mapping trees is important and useful to the health of the city itself.
 

1 comment:

  1. I had not realized the importance of trees in the city until I read this article. Thank you trees for all you do!

    ReplyDelete